Tuesday, October 15, 2013

[SQL 2012] copying data tables between database and keeping indexes and identity columns

[SQL 2012] copying data tables between database and keeping indexes and identity columns


copying data tables between database and keeping indexes and identity columns

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 03:26 AM PDT

Is there a way to copy tables between databases (ssis?) and keep the identity columns and indexes other than tsql scripts. Wondering if SSIS ever got any better at this

Can a server be added to two different clusters?

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 10:04 AM PDT

As part of a re-design of our disaster recovery and high availability environment we are considering several designs. One design would mean trying to setup a server in one location that is part of a local 2 mode cluster so that a SQL instance would remain up if there was a hardware failure (the instance would failover to the other node). Let's say the location is New York.Let's say then we also have a datacenter in Los Angeles. It also has a SQL instance clustered on it's own two nodes located in Los Angeles.So the instance SqlLA\InstanceOne would be a clustered instance on the nodes LA01 and LA02 in LA. The instance SqlNY\InstanceTwo would be a clustered instance on nodes NY01 and NY02 in NY.Then I would want to setup an HA group between SqlLA\InstanceOne and SqlNY\InstanceTwo. Although that would mean the nodes would need to be a resource in two different Microsoft clusters. I would have to add NY01 and NY02 as nodes to the LA cluster even though they are already a part of the NY cluster.The idea is that if there was a real distaster event for say LA then the nodes in NY would take over the availability group. Then if there was a hardware failure on one of the nodes in NY, then the SQL instance in NY is still up.My gut reaction is that this seems like a really bad idea technically as the two clusters would not coordinate well. Although I'm not sure at all, maybe this would work.Does anybody know?

Flat File Input Field Lengths

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 07:57 AM PDT

I have a tab-separated-value (TSV) input file for my SSIS package. When I point to the file to create the Flat File Source, SSIS uses a string data type (OK, I can deal with that...) and a length of 50. Well, some of the columns are bigger than 50 characters. In my data conversion step, I ignore truncation, but I'd rather the input file allow up to 255 characters. I went to the advanced edit for the flat file source component of the Data Flow step and changed the properties of one field I know violates the 50-character limit to 255 characters. It worked, but I got a warning that the metadata didn't match the properties sheet. Did I do this wrong? I don't want silly warnings....

SSDT & TFS

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 08:12 AM PDT

I'm having trouble accessing TFS using the 2012 SQL Server Data Tools. What's odd is that in Visual Studio 2012 under the Source Control Options, TFS is listed, but in SSDT in the same location there is only a None option. SSDT is basically a shell of VS 2012. I don't get it! Anyone successfully use TFS with SSDT for 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog