Friday, September 27, 2013

[SQL 2012] Issue with AlwaysOn High Availability

[SQL 2012] Issue with AlwaysOn High Availability


Issue with AlwaysOn High Availability

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 12:36 AM PDT

Friends,We are facing an issue with our DBs. We have configured AHA for couple of SQL Server Instances. The first instance has a AHA in which we have a DB from second Server Instance as Secondary. It seems that there was a failover last night and both the groups in the first server instance have become Secondary and both the groups in second instance have become Primary. Due to this the DBs have become Read Only.Please let us know the steps to resolve this issue.

SQL Server Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit)

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 07:52 AM PDT

Hi guys,I'm assuming the answer is NO, but I thought I would ask anyway...Some consultants came in and installed SharePoint on SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) before I started working at my current company. I need to change this to Enterprise Edition. I don't need the Core Based Licensing. Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this besides uninstall/reinstall?

sql-2102

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 02:04 AM PDT

Hiam installing 2012 - SQLEXPRWT_64_ENU_2 as components are not installed and am stuck:I already have MSSQLSERVER MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER (EDITION- express)I also have MSSQLSERVER1 MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER1 (EDITION- express)I also have MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS (EDITION- express)I want to keep the instance name as MSSQLSERVER. should I perform new installation or add features to an existing instance of sql server 2012.Thanks

sql 2012- 2008

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 01:41 AM PDT

I have sql server 2008 - which am trying to uninstall, the only tools I have - can see is import export data 64 bit and configuration tools. I cannot uninstall through control panel as they are not shown.please help.

Restricting Tables from SysAdmin

Posted: 26 Sep 2013 11:14 PM PDT

I have a database which, among other items, has sensitive, Executive payroll tables. As the Developer, I have been asked to restrict these tables so only selected operators can view/update them. Although as the Developer, I am allowed access, the System Administrator should not be. I am not able to use traditional methods of limiting access by user group, because the SysAdmin can simply add himself to whatever group has access. I already have password protection within the application itself, so when an operator goes into Payroll, Executive Payroll isn't an option. However, if an authorized user uses Excel, Crystal Reports, etc. to connect directly to the database, then the security built into the application is bypassed. Here are the ways I'm considering so far, although I don't know if any of them will work.1. Encrypt or password protect selected tables.2. Encrypt selected columns of the selected tables when the new rows are added or existing rows are modified. Decrypt the columns when the rows are accessed.3. Create a separate database on the executive payroll operator's local drive (there is only one executive payroll operator). When the application opens, if would either copy the local tables to the common database or link to them. When the application closes it would either copy the tables back to the local drive and remove them or remove the link to the tables on the local drive.Any other ideas are appreciated.

Logshipping between 2008 and 2012

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 01:01 AM PDT

Greetings Earthlings, I'm setting up logshipping between primary 2008 and destination 2012 servers. It is going well as I am moving from database to database although as I am getting to the larger databases I am seeing potential issue coming up. Here is the workflow to establish log shipping that I have figured out. If you have an improvement to the process then I would welcome to hear it: Backup DatabaseA on SQL2008Copy the backup to SQL2012Restore the database with recovery (I can not restore with standby because it needs to go through an upgrade to 2012)Backup the now upgraded database to diskRestore the database with Standby/Read OnlyTurn on log shipping jobs (TL backup on 2008, Copy on 2012, TL Apply on 2012)All works fine from then on. Temporarily, we do not have enough space on the destination for a backup of the larges logshipped database. Therefore I have tried to utilize restoring to 2012 from the \\sql2008\backupdrive. That worked fine. Backing the upgraded 2012 database to the \\sql2008\backupdrive has failed me. Most likely due to network's unability to maintain quality connection during the 2Terrabyte backup.

SQL 2012 Memory Clerks

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 12:00 AM PDT

Hi AllPrior to SQL 2012, when using the sys.dm_os_memory_clerks, the MEMORYCLERK_SQLBUFFERPOOL clerk always showed zero, this was because single_pages_kb refers to the amount of single pages the clerk is pulling from the buffer pool, so the buffer pool won't be reading single pages from itself, hence the 0kb. Has this changed in SQL 2012? I am seeing huge amounts for this clerk now which I am assuming is the database data/index pages. Thanks

Low memory usage and low PLE on 23GB virtual server

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:24 PM PDT

I am trying to help a customer with a performance problem on a SQL server that runs several different OLTP systems. The system is continuously handling hundreds of batches per second. CPU load is very low, the disk is 100% busy almost all the time.Users are complaining about longer response times than expected. This is a brand new server, so we have no previous baseline.This is a virtual server using Hyper-V, the physical server is only used for this virtual server.16 logical CPU:s28GB memory23GB allocated to SQL server using minimum and maximum server memorySQL Server 2012, Standard editionLock Pages in memory is NOT enabledWhen looking at memory usage on the machine, there does not seem to be any external memory pressure - there is no paging and there seems to always be physical memory available.When trying to diagnose the problem I have found something that I think might be the cause of the heavy disk read activity.I watch the following perfmon counters:SQL Server Memory Manager:Free Memory (MB)SQL Server Memory Manager:Database Cache Memory (MB)SQL Server Buffer Manager:Page Life ExpectancyWhen the server is loaded I would expect Free memory to be very low, Database Cache memory to be close to the maximum, and Page Life expectancy to be high.What I am seeing is instead that Free memory is constantly about 16 GB, Database Cache memory varies between 200 MB and 2 GB. Page Life expectancy repeatedly drops to 0, climbs to 100, and drops to 0 again.So, there is lots of free memory available, but it is not getting used!I have used SQL Profiler to look for any SQL commands that reads has a large amount of reads, but I ave not found anything significant. There are simply a very large number of small requests.Do you have any ideas about what could be causing this behavior?Any ideas about how to continue trying to find the cause of the problem?/SG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog