Friday, September 20, 2013

[SQL 2012] Build datawarehouse from scratch

[SQL 2012] Build datawarehouse from scratch


Build datawarehouse from scratch

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 11:47 PM PDT

Hi friends, I have couple of questions.I have experience working in datawarehouse projects but I am not sure how do you build a datawarehouse from scratch.What factors need to consider?What tools are used? (in Sql server)How to decide whether a dimension table or fact table?Please reply.thanksRaj

Failure Restoring Differential Backup

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 02:59 AM PDT

I have an issue with my SQL 2012 database server and restoring a full backup (norecovery) then applying a differential backup. The error message is that there is a break in the LSN chain. The First LSN of the full backup is the same as the Full LSN of the differential backup so I'm confident there is not a break in the backup chain. I am restoring a Production Backup to our DEV Server, so the issue is not currently critical, but I don't feel confident that I could recover to a point in time if I had a Production failure.Does anyone have knowledge of a Hot Fix or work around?

SQL Server 2008 r2 Standard Edition vs SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 02:25 AM PDT

Hi Guys,I need to find out the difference between SQL Server 2008 r2 STD and SQL Server 2012 STD in terms of features, admistration tools, BI tools etc.As we all know Enterprise has all the features that most people would like, but, is there any major differences between the two ? I have been on the MS SQL website and found most new features are not on the STD edition.Any help would be really appreciated

create new login with powershell

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 10:43 PM PDT

I need to create create new login ( domain user ) with powershell?I used this script:[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO')|Out-Null$Instance="*****machine name******"$LoginName="***Domain User********"$Password="*****password*****"$DBName="master"$Server=New-Object ("Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SMO.Server") $instance$Login=$Server.Logins.Item($LoginName)$Login=New-Object ("Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SMO.Login") ($Server, $LoginName) $Login.LoginType=[Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.LoginType]::SqlLogin$Login.DefaultDatabase=$DBName $Login.Create($Password)but script failed ERROR:New-Object : Exception calling ".ctor" with "2" argument(s): "SetParent failed for Login 'user name'. "At line:1 char:18+ $Login=New-Object <<<< ("Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SMO.Login") ($Server, $LoginName) + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [New-Object], MethodInvocationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConstructorInvokedThrowException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

New Error Message - GetPageForRemoteCopy

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 10:18 PM PDT

Here's a new error message, with no results at all from Google.[quote]GetPageForRemoteCopy (db [17], Page [4:6170080] - IO Error -4 - Sending empty page[/quote][quote]GetPageForRemoteCopy (db [31], Page [4:6170080] - IO Error -4 - Sending empty page[/quote]I am running AlwaysOn and I have this message on the publisher and the subscriber. I examine sys.dm_hadr_auto_page_repair and find the following on BOTH sides.4:6170080 Bad Checksum Request sent to partner.Sounds like Automatic Page Repair is playing tennis. What a great way to spend a Friday.

SQL Server 2005 to 2012 XML Conversion

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 10:12 PM PDT

Dear All,We are about to migrate from SQL 2005 to SQL 2012, however we have an issue with XML basically that it is in UTF-8 format rather than UTF-16. I would like to ask what strategy people have come up with to solve this problem.I'm sort of hoping for a Magic Wand, however I doubt I will get one :D

Upgrade One File?

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 08:16 AM PDT

Is it possible to upgrade just one SSIS package? Basically I've got a 2005 SSIS package and I'd like to upgrade it to 2012 Data Tools but the only method I see described is the Upgrade Wizard that does everything at once.How can I just upgrade one SSIS package at a time?

SSRS 3.0 Parameters input issue

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 09:32 PM PDT

Hi all,I am building a report that will make a comparison with figures for the last 3 months, and last 12 months. For this I will build 3 datasets with the exact same structure, with the difference that I need each one of them the data will be different.The way I am trying to do it is to go to a specific dataset and on the parameters tab choose the parameter and do as example below:=Parameters!Period.Value-3 The parameter above would be for the dataset that needs to show the figures for the last quarter, the period field is an integer and every month as a number attached, so I figured that if for this specific dataset in the parameters tab there is an instruction for the parameter in the expression it should work... It doesn't, anyone has a suggestion for this?Best regards,Daniel

Join Domain after the fact

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 08:59 AM PDT

I'm considering building a Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain with VMs for my home lab for my own education & exam preparation. I have a Windows 2008 R2 VM with SQL 2012 in Workgroup mode I've been using for about a year. Can I join this VM to a new domain and have full functionality with domain security & other SQL VMs or does SQL 2012 need to be installed AFTER the server joins a Domain?

working policy with constraint.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 05:51 AM PDT

Has anyone used policy to check the default names of the constraints?

Exporting a report to excel

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 04:21 AM PDT

Hi,When I export report to an excel sheet all the lines excel become plain except the report part. All the ther part of the workseet is like a white blank page except the report part.How can I make excel file to be the same format after the export is done?Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog