Thursday, August 22, 2013

[SQL Server 2008 issues] I want to make my Server 2008 R2 server a dedicated game server.

[SQL Server 2008 issues] I want to make my Server 2008 R2 server a dedicated game server.


I want to make my Server 2008 R2 server a dedicated game server.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 07:01 PM PDT

Helle SQL ServerCentral GURU,You see the subject and I want to make a server to be dedicated for a game. The server at self is noting installed and did not even have a role.Which steps much I do on server configuration to make a dedicated server?greetz, Karim

Logic to break period of time by month

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 03:04 PM PDT

Hi,Can anybody give me and idea if it's possible, I need to check the following table and do some logic counting period of time but withing each of month, so let say for id=303 with period = 45, I'll get 3 records ,etc:[code="other"] 303 6/27/13 8/11/13 45 || \/ 1 303 6/27/13 6/30/13 32 303 7/01/13 7/31/13 313 303 8/01/13 8/11/13 11 [/code]Is there any date function to do this in TSQL?my sample data[code="other"]with ttt as (select 123 Id, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-3,getdate()) toDD, datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-3,getdate())) period ,1000 prodID unionselect 202 Id, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-17,getdate()) toDD, datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-25,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-17,getdate())) period ,2000 prodID unionselect 303 Id, DATEADD(d,-55,getdate()) fromDD, DATEADD(d,-10,getdate()) toDD, datediff(d, DATEADD(d,-55,getdate()), DATEADD(d,-10,getdate())) period ,3000 prodID )select * from ttt[/code]Thanks Mario

problem with installation of Sql Server Management Studio Express 2008

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 07:39 PM PDT

the installation stops because of a Rule Check Failure -"Previous Release of Microsoft Visual Studio failed" It says that i have to " Upgrade Visual Studio 2008 to sp1 before installing Sql server 2008"i already have 'SQL Server Express 2008 r2' and 'Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition' installed. Please suggest how i can install SSME..

Any way to check sys configurations from SSMS wizard.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 05:59 PM PDT

If i am not wrong ,we can change configuration setting through ssms wizard without using sp_configure.Can someone provide me link for the same.

SQL Agent Job-Retry

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 04:24 PM PDT

Dear all,we have sql agent job,the job is schedule everyday @9.30 A.M and @5.30 P.M.@9.30 scheduled job is failure means need to retry every 10 mins with 3 attempt.I have question retry attempt job should affect current job schedule or not.please explain the detail,if we give the retry timeout for job there is any problem?please help on this.

how to pass parameters into an openquery ?.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 07:50 AM PDT

How i can pass parameters into an openquery ?.I have openquery it just works fine with the fixed values but i want to pass the values to START_DATE AND END_DATE from variables and then i want to put the result of that to the "dbo.INFORMATION" table. [quote]declare @STDATE as datetimeset @STDATE = cast (GETDATE()-1 as date )declare @EDATE as datetimeset @EDATE = cast (GETDATE() as date )insert into dbo.INFORMATION SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY ([linkedserver],'set fmtonly off Exec [Database].[dbo].[SP_ALL_DAY] @START_TIME = ''@STDATE'', @END_TIME = ''@EDATE'', @RES = ''day'', @AGG = ''n'', @FIL =''ALLLIST'', @COMPANY = ''%'', @NAME = '''' ') [/quote]

What's the best practice to replicate a sql 2008 database to 2005?

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 06:35 AM PDT

I have a 2008 DB on my laptop, I need to temporarily set up a server version on 2005, here is the trouble I encountered:1. I backed up and tried to restored, it failed (maybe it works if from 2k5 to 2k8)2. I created new DB on 2k5, export all tables from 2k8 to 2k5, fine, working, however, all Keys/Constraints/Defaults are not there, I can't manually added those things.3. I generated script for all objects, changed some settings and double checked to make sure the Keys/Constraints/Defaults are there, I ran the script on server, tables created with Keys/Constraints/Defaults4. I then import data from 2k8, failed because of "Failure inserting into the read-only column "ID". (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)"So what should I do with minimum time and effort for this task?Thank you very much.

sp_addextendedproperty

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 05:38 PM PDT

Hi All,I came across "sp_addextendedproperty" in Adventureworks2008R2 .EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty @name=N'MS_Description', @value=N'Primary key for ContactType records.' , @level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'Person', @level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'ContactType', @level2type=N'COLUMN',@level2name=N'ContactTypeID'GO Can someone help me explaining the use of this sp..Where and when do you use it..If possible can you please explain me with someother example..

Getting cumulative update version number which is currently installed on sql server

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 01:22 AM PDT

Hi,I am trying to find out which cumulative update is currently installed in SQL server 2008 R2.I can get the service pack and build number using this:- select @@version which gives me:-Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64) Jun 28 2012 08:36:30 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor) I have searched using 10.50.4000.0 but I can't get the cumulative update.

selecting recent two set of log entries from a table with time

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 10:16 AM PDT

Hi Experts,We had a application that enters logs into database approximately for every half an hour.Lets say if the apllication started at 1:01 and ended its at job 1:05, the next run of application logging entries will be started at 1:36. Because it calculates 30 mins from 1:05 i.e 30 mins from recent end time.. If the application again started logging some rows starting 1:36 to 1:42. The next logging instance will start at 2:12. The number of rows logged by application might be from 0 to 100(apprx)Here the requirement is i have to send a email with that log entries for the last two loggings, for Ex: If i Set a job to run at 2:00 It should select the logging that occured between 1:01 to 1:05 and 1:35 to 1:42. How can i enable a job, which always selects recent two set of log entries .Please help me in this.Any input is appreciatedThanks

Index Fragmentation and Page count minimum

Posted: 01 Aug 2013 08:21 AM PDT

I started writing rebuild index script.However, I came across about "SET @page_count_minimum" value .Could you please help me understand what is page_count_minimum and its value to be set etc.Thanks,

How does reducing the logical read increase performance ?

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 07:28 AM PDT

How does reducing the logical read increase performance ? Your valuable inputs are welcome.Thanks in Advance !

connection string issue in app with integrated security

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 05:23 AM PDT

I am a sql server DBA. I am not completely aware of how IIS recognizes a sql server windows login credentials.This is for our testing only and doesnt reflect any prod or development env's. Right now we have created a new domain TESTApp.xyz.local and added an Active Passive windows and SQL Server Cluster set up to this domain. So my test database server is testdb\apptest. Our test app server is sitting on a different domain which is abc.local. The app server name is appserver1. Now I have restored the databases in testdb\apptest instance for the apps being hosted on appserver1. How do I ensure that the user will be able to login to application?Apps are using .net framework 4 and using IIS. If i create a domain account say appuser.xyz.local and create a login for this in testdb\apptest and give appropriate permissions on the database then how will the app be able to use this user to login to the app? what changes are required here at IIS as well as config file level. Currently the config files are using integrated security.Need your help experts

RAID Caching and SQL Server 2008 R2

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 05:41 AM PDT

Quick background:I have set up three Dell Poweredge 1950's for me to practice setting up an SSRS Scale Out Deployment. In doing so, I set up the RAID controller on each. Everytime the system boots, I get the following error message: "The battery hardware is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged. If you continue to boot the system, the battery-backed cache will not function. Please contact technical support for assistance."I think I can solve that error by going into the (<ctrl>+<r>) and checking the option for "Force WB with no battery". But, I would like to understand this a little more before doing it.My SR DBA has asked me a few questions: 1. What is default caching options for SQL Server? 2. What are the two caching options available with the RAID controller and SQL Server.I have been trying my best to research these questions, so that I can intelligently speak about them. I believe the answer to the first question is Write Ahead Logging and I believe the answer to the second question is Read and Write. But both of those can go deeper, for write you can write back or write through. For read, you can have read ahead, adaptive read ahead or No read ahead.Where I am confused is, how does checking "Force WB with no battery" relate to WAL? And how does WAL relate to write back or write through caching? Is one of those a nickname for WAL?I have read a lot of articles about this today and I am still not clear on what it all means. I hoping one of the guru's on this site can make this make sense to me.

Sql Server Partitioning

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 02:49 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,I'm running Sql Server 2008 R2 and I'm configuring table partitioning for 3 tables.My question is, what is the recommended approach - to create one partition scheme and one partition function on each table, or one scheme and one function that is then used to partition all the tables?The partition key is the same on each table and the table row counts are:Table1 = 60 million recordsTable2 = 20 million recordsTable3 = 100 million recordsThanks in advance.

how to return installed services on server 2000

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 01:54 AM PDT

Hi,can anyone have idea on my question please let me know. i have script that works only for 2005 and above versions. i am looking for server 2000( this returns all services like dts,agent,ssas,ssrs....etc)cheers

system table having modify by information for modified dbobjects

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 01:04 AM PDT

I would like to get info database objects like procedure ,views, table valued functions modified by info across all databases on a server.Is there any sys table or catalog view get to "modify by" information ?I don't like to use DDL trigger on db and DDL on aLL server don't provide such info in its events.

Order by Name not works

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 11:54 PM PDT

Hi,I tried to sort names in my application. It is strange that W comes in between V :alien:Select * from (Select 'Västerbergslagens Kraft AB' NameunionSelect 'Västerbergslagens Elförsäljning AB' NameunionSelect 'Wäst-Bygg AB' NameunionSelect 'Västbo Galvan AB' NameunionSelect 'Västanvind Vindkraftskooperativ ek för') torder by t.Name[b]Actual output:[/b]NameVästanvind Vindkraftskooperativ ek förVästbo Galvan ABWäst-Bygg ABVästerbergslagens Elförsäljning ABVästerbergslagens Kraft AB[b]Expected: [/b]NameVästanvind Vindkraftskooperativ ek förVästbo Galvan ABVästerbergslagens Elförsäljning ABVästerbergslagens Kraft ABWäst-Bygg ABPlease guide me.

Teradata linked server fails after restarting SQL service...why?

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 11:55 PM PDT

I have two linked servers setup on my SQL server 2008 install. For some reason, these linked servers work just fine, until I restart the SQL service, or restart the SQL server itself. Before a restart of either, I can test the connection and it is successful. After a restart of either, I test the connection and it fails with the "Cannot create instance of OLE DB provider "TDOLEDB.1" for linked server "teradata_a". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7302)". The teradata client is 13.10.The weird thing is by the next morning it seems to clear itself up on its own, almost like there is some link that gets reset between the teradata server and my SQL server. However, in the meantime I can connect successfully via the Teradata SQL Assistant on the server.Anybody else run across this and/or know of a fix?

Find Deadlocks

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 08:22 PM PDT

I am asked to check whether their was any deadlock occured 15 days back.. how do i do this :w00t:

Email contents of table

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 09:44 PM PDT

Hi everyone.Hope someone can offers some guidance.Have a requirement to send the contents of a table via email to a location on a set schedule.What is best way to approach this ?If anyone has any recommendations on the best way to set this up , please let me know.For example should I copy contents to a separate table, or extract from current table and email from there ?thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog