Friday, August 23, 2013

[MS SQL Server] A question on defragging the *physical* files (mdf / ldf)

[MS SQL Server] A question on defragging the *physical* files (mdf / ldf)


A question on defragging the *physical* files (mdf / ldf)

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 02:50 AM PDT

So, I'm looking at possibly setting up a job in Windows (although I may have to manually trigger it) to defrag the disks in my servers. For the old-hands though, who've probably dealt with similar situations, I've got a couple questions, and haven't found satisfactory answers yet...1. Will the built-in Windows Defrag (Server 2008 / 2008 R2) defrag the MDF / LDF files without me stopping SQL Server?2. Is it even worth the effort to defrag considering all my servers are virtual (VMWare) and the VMWare storage is all on SAN?I'm inclined to think the answer to #2 will render the answer to #1 irrelevant. I just ran the "Analyze disk" against one of my QA boxes data volumes, and it reported only 2% fragmentation, so I suspect that thanks to being virtual, there isn't really much fragmentation...Thanks,Jason

SQL Code to Kill Stale Processes

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 02:30 AM PDT

Happy Friday EveryoneI am working on some things today. I was thinking it would be good to kill all the stale connections that are over a certain age. I am not sure how to go about this however. I used to have some code that would do this, but I cannot find it. Can anyone assist me in finding the code to perform this task?Thank you in advance for all your assistance, suggestions and commentsAndrew SQLDBA

Maintenance Plan corrupted – Backup Plan?

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 05:02 PM PDT

Hi,Daily backup plan was failed when start the Backup Jobs. It was successful after restart the server, what could be reason? Why SSIS packages get it corrupted and not loading during start the Job?Error Mesages[quote]Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 10.0.2531.0 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 8:47:09 AM Error: 2013-08-21 08:47:09.65 Code: 0xC0010018 Source: Description: Error loading value "<DTS:ConnectionManager xmlns:DTS="www.microsoft.com/SqlServer/Dts"> <DTS:Property DTS:Name="DelayValidation">0</DTS:Property> <DTS:Property DTS:Name="ObjectName">Local server connection</DTS:Property> <DTS:Property DTS:Name="DTSID">{0BC551FA-4FAF-4EB2-8" from node "DTS:ConnectionManager". End Error Could not load package "Maintenance Plans\DB_BACKUP" because of error 0xC0010014. Description: One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors preceding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors. Source: Started: 8:47:09 AM Finished: 8:47:09 AM Elapsed: 0.406 seconds. The package could not be loaded. The step failed.[/quote]Thanksananda

windows server 2012 for sqlserver

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 03:46 PM PDT

Hi,Could you please provide the useful info "windows server 2012 for sqlserver" . provide any good weblinks ..Thanks

Defrag job fails - Index related error

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 06:50 AM PDT

Defrag job has been failing since ages for a server with the following error. Executing the query "ALTER INDEX [IX_NetworkDetail_DestIPSort] ON [dbo]..." failed with the following error: "Cannot find the object "dbo.NetworkDetail_101_1529753" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

[264] An attempt was made to send an email when no email session has been established

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 07:12 AM PDT

Hello all,I have seen this error pop up quite a bit in the SQL Server Agent log. I have looked for answers online and everyone is saying to just restart the SQL Server Agent. Well, I am not doing that, but it is somehow coming and going. I compared this log with the Database Mail Log and I see a bunch of 'DatabaseMail process is started' and 'DatabaseMail process is shutting down'. From what I know, the process will shut itself down after 10 minutes of inactivity, but then start itself up again when a job calls for it. The [264] error is happening at times between when the DatabaseMail process shuts down and when it starts up. So it would seem that a job or something is trying to send an email when the process is shut down, but the process is not starting up. Again, I read that to fix that just restart the agent, but I am not doing that and the process starts up again. Is the agent somehow restarting itself?Other than understanding what is happening, what I would really like to be able to do is identify the job or process that is trying to send an email but failing. Does anyone know how I can do that?Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog