Thursday, May 30, 2013

[SQL 2012] System databases ... on an SMB share??

[SQL 2012] System databases ... on an SMB share??


System databases ... on an SMB share??

Posted: 30 May 2013 03:09 AM PDT

I've recently started the adventures with SQL 2012. I work in a fairly large shop with over 100 servers, including several clusters, including one 3-node N+1 cluster with 2 instances, one with seven clustered instances on it, and another with a 6 TB "warehouse" (our developers call it that... it's not designed as one though). I'd heard one awesome thing today that I wasn't aware of yet, that tempdb can be housed on the local nodes of the cluster instead of on a shared drive. Awesome because it means I can stick a couple SSD's in the nodes and put tempdb there, and not have it beating up our SAN.I was looking a little more into this when I spied:[url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh759341.aspx]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh759341.aspx[/url]Apparently... and I don't know if it applies to a cluster or not, don't really care yet... the system databases, including master, can now be housed on a UNC share. I... I'm not sure what to think of that. Awesome or catastrophically dangerous?Once upon a time I had a really old NetApp, and everything had to go via shares. And with a handy little trace flag, I could put *user* databases on it. And I wanted to. But if someone had told me I could also put the system databases on it I would've asked them what they were smoking. Now that MS is actually supporting doing it though... I have to ask, is there any good reason I might want to? Or do I need to smoke something? ;-)Does anyone have a good reason they'd want to put system databases [i]on a share[/i]?

SQL Server 2012 Failover installation. Analysis services data directories path not found

Posted: 29 May 2013 09:30 AM PDT

Hi to all.I installed SQL SERVER 2012 Enterprise on my work PC.I have a regular licence...I install it to study new features of BI like TABULAR MODE instead of MULTIDIMENSIONAL MODE.Some months ago i was able to install a TRIAL version but now it expires so i was installing ORIGINAL version.I encontered a problem during installation ..Trying to get an install done and SQL install keeps failing when trying [b]to install the data directories for the analysis services. [/b]Keeps telling me the path is not valid no matter where I try to place the folders. If I leave it at the default SQL install moves on to the next step but fails at the end and give the same error with this code:SQL Server Setup has encounterd the following error:the folder path specified is invalid. Please enter a valid folder path.. Directories are them :C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\DataC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\LogC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\TempC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\BackupCan anyone help me ???Regards in advance.

Where is the Download for SQL Server Native Client 11.0 for Windows 7 (32 bit)

Posted: 30 May 2013 02:13 AM PDT

SQL Server Native Client 11.0 download for Windows 7 32 bit It is suppose to work. After searching an hour, MS claims it can be installed as part of the new SQL Server in one of the directories.Our development group doesn't have access to the servers.Where can this installation (or dll) be located? Microsoft has made this extremely difficult.So difficult that there is an exploit phishing site that pretends to download the driver, but actually installs maleware.We are also running a SQL Server 2008 on a server. Do we also need to upgrad it to this newer DLL? Would it help?

AG Groups Vs Shared Storage

Posted: 29 May 2013 09:22 PM PDT

Hello,Im pretty new to SQL and im currently on a steep learning curve in my new job role. Im going through setting up an Availability Group (AG) with the need for shared storage, i have this working in conjunction with WSFC on Server 2012.My question is, the AG asks for a shared network location that the nodes can both see, now correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this essentially the same as using shared storage on a SAN? We currently use SQL 2008 on a NetApp SAN for shared storage using full blown Server 2008 clustering for fail-over.It occurred to me while writing documentation that its basically the same thing as shared storage so why would you want to use AG over shared storage? I realize it has the benefits of offloading reporting to secondary replicas but i assume these same functions can be used with SAN storage. Also would you use a local shared folder (local to the node) or a share on a separate server all together that isn't part of the cluster?Apologies if i'm not making sense, its my first time and want to get it right in my head before i present it to my colleagues.Cheers

SQL Instance Name not appearing in drop down list on Cluster Node Configuration Window

Posted: 29 May 2013 03:50 PM PDT

I am trying to install the MS SQL Server 2012 Failover Cluster on Windows Server 2012 . I successfully Installed the Failover cluster instance on my primary node. But when I am running the installation process on passive node to add node in the failover cluster I am stuck with very unique kind of issue.I am following the Standard process of Installation and I am getting the same windows for each next process, but after License Agreement window when I get the Cluster Node Configuration window, then in "SQL Server Instance Name" drop down box I am not getting the Name of Instance which is already installed on the primary node. But this Instance complete information is appearing in below given box.Only issue is Instance name is not appearing in the drop down list, that's why I am not able to select and when I click on next it trough error and do not proceed.Please can you tell me the possible cause behind this issue, and I am first time doing cluster installation in SQL Server 2012.I truly appreciate your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog