Monday, May 6, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Database modifications reported in Error or other log?

[MS SQL Server] Database modifications reported in Error or other log?


Database modifications reported in Error or other log?

Posted: 06 May 2013 01:17 AM PDT

I am a Jr. Level DBA, responsible for monitoring our production server. On Friday I noted that the drive our data files reside on was nearly at capacity; my supervisor was on vacation, but I notified him thru email.Using a monitoring tool that takes regular polls, I noted that the drive space suddenly decreased on Saturday night (right before a backup job, as it turns out. The jobs were successful).My questions are: what methods are possible to resolve this situation? I've only thought of moving some datafiles to another drive, and shrinking some datafiles. Also, are these types of operations typically logged somewhere? I don't see anything using sys.xp_errorlog nor in the job log.Any help is much appreciated.~ Jeff

Rebuild Indexes

Posted: 05 May 2013 12:33 PM PDT

Hello EveryoneI am rebuilding the indexes on a database every week. I am getting complaints that the database is being locked during this process, and failing some transactions. Is there any to rebuild all the indexes and not lock the database? The entire process takes approx 30 - 40 mins.Thank you in advance for your suggestions, comments and timeAndrew SQLDBA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog