Wednesday, May 22, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Business Analyst report tools

[MS SQL Server] Business Analyst report tools


Business Analyst report tools

Posted: 22 May 2013 04:15 AM PDT

I have a group of Business Analysts that I will soon be working closely with to further their report building capabilities. They've recently been brought back under the IT wing and will be working directly under me ([i]the sole DBA[/i]). One of their primary goals will be learning basic SQL query writing in order to develop more advanced reports for the applications they each specialize in. Currently none of them have very much experience doing this, outside of very basic SELECT and JOIN queries for some existing reports. The good news is that they already have a good understand of their respective database structures and will never need any advanced SQL knowledge -- they just need to know how to write queries that can produce the requested reports. And they will, obviously, never have more than read access to their own database ([i]or a reporting version of it[/i]).I've currently prepared some basic material to start teaching them with -- JOINs, comparison operators, aggregates, and some other useful knowledge for report queries. While I was looking to see what good Business Analyst specific report tools there might be I came across [url=http://www.devart.com/dbforge/sql/querybuilder/]dbForge's Query Builder [/url]tool. I haven't used or really even noticed any tools that are for visually creating SQL queries, at least not to this extent, prior to finding this. But, so far, after tinkering around with the trial version I think it might be an interesting addition to their learning path. With some obvious restrictions I'll put in place prior to deploying, I feel like tools like this could give them a head start on learning some of the basic aspects in a more intuitive, visual manner. I would obviously be there to oversee and assist with the more advanced matters. Does anyone else have any similar experiences or insight? Any thoughts on something like this or even better suggestions? I am in no way looking for an overall solution or quick-fix, just other opinions to consider. In the end I am just looking at all my options for developing their query/report writing abilities as efficiently as possible, without creating any major issues, while also balancing my own limited time. :)Thanks in advance,

AUDIT LOG DISPLAYS WRONG TIME ...?

Posted: 30 Nov 2010 08:32 AM PST

i have implemented the sql audit for the sql server 2008 sp1.When view the audit logs I am wondering why does it display the wrong date and time.....?

Backup Job Incomplete

Posted: 21 May 2013 08:07 AM PDT

Hi,I have problem My backup script runs on every sunday for full backup and should have to take 41 database backup but it only takes 22 or 7 databases backup and and it say that it ran successfully. Can please help me

SP on cluster

Posted: 21 May 2013 10:43 AM PDT

We have an Active-Passive SQL Server 2008 Failover Cluster installed. Front end is sharepoint.They have two instances on each cluster, one instance is named prod_mssqlserver, the other is for qa_mssqlserver.Now I need to apply service pack3 on it.Do I have to run it on both physical servers? And does each run will do the SP for both instances?We can take down both nodes for patch, do not need to do the failover for this purpose, shall I run the passive nodes first without taking down the active one?Then I can take down the active one to do the patch.Thanks,

Multiple exec plans for same stored procedure

Posted: 21 May 2013 11:39 PM PDT

We have vendor software that uses a lot of resources on our production server. As part of analysis to improve performance, I've noticed that there exist multiple entries in the plan cache that seem identical, with different use counts and plan handles. The SQL text is too long to post here, but there are no hard-coded literal values, extra spaces, different SET options, etc. that would cause different plans to be generated. Most have a parameter value substituted into an EXEC statement, such as EXEC('SELECT x,y,z FROM sometable WHERE cola = ' + @parm1 + ' ORDER BY x,y'). I'm under the impression that using parameters or local variables in this way would NOT cause a different plan to be generated.Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.~ Jeff

Could not allocate a new page for database 'TEMPDB' because of insufficient disk space in filegroup 'DEFAULT'.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:04 AM PDT

I'm setting up SCOM 2012 with the SQL Server Management Pack and I'm getting these errors:[quote]Could not allocate a new page for database 'TEMPDB' because of insufficient disk space in filegroup 'DEFAULT'. Create the necessary space by dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.[/quote]The DBAs are telling me to ignore this error as the database is set to Auto-Grow. But if this were the case, then shouldn't I NOT be getting these errors? Shouldn't the DB auto-grow the database before generating this error?Thanks.

Added node to clustered sql prior to installing SQL on it, what to do :)

Posted: 21 May 2013 09:33 AM PDT

Hi -I am suppose to setup an active/active clustered server (none of servers had any sql on it, these are new servers). The two servers are clustered at the windows level, I first setup node 1 as a clustered server following Microsoft documentation on how to setup active/active clustered server. When the SQL clustered server on node 1 was complete, I went ahead and ran the setup to add sql to clustered server. As I was going through the screens, I did not see where I could specify the sql network name and instance name for node 2. I went through screens, it showed node 2 was successfully added...But I only can see node1 under services and application in failover cluster manager.My question here is that 1) do I need to install SQL Server on node 2 prior to adding it to the clustered server, and if so, what option to select? and 2) do I need to remove node2 first(which showed node 2 machine name, and instance01 (that is what I specified as my instance name while I was setting up node 1)? Thanks.

SSRS report Memory limit

Posted: 21 May 2013 08:15 PM PDT

I want limit report server for cpu and memory.Thanks in Advance.

Restoring Backup

Posted: 21 May 2013 03:04 PM PDT

Hello,I would like to know that what will be the best way to restore from Full backup, Differential and Transaction Log back up?We are taking weekly Full backup, Daily Differential and every hour T-Log back up into Sql server 2008.Thanks,

cluster

Posted: 21 May 2013 01:57 PM PDT

Can someone help me understand cluster?we have two nodes for the cluster. each cluster we installed two sql instances, one is prod, one is qa.Does it mean we have total 4 instances installed, or only two instances?Does the databases located in both of the 4 instances?Thank

Memory and tempDB on SQL server

Posted: 21 May 2013 09:25 AM PDT

Hello guys, notice : my boss finally went out and I can focus to optimalizing. :-D So its his work. I have ask about tempdb, using memory and IO disk .We have 16CPU AND 32GB memoryI read that - number of temp db files like CPU - 16 ? true or false ? - it is possible memory should be like count of size all of databases what we use ?True? and if this true , it is with ldf? or just mdf? Memory is still full - standby is 1000 and free is about 1000 tempDB has just 12files - 1024MB with autogrowth by 128MB unlimited + log and I think that can be problem with performance, because some operations will wait for disk instead memory _ true ? Minimum server memory 16384MB, Maximum 28000MBwe have few DB, but primary has about 9GB and increases (1per month we move to another, which has 91GB mdf, ldf11GB)and primary database has ldf file about 42GBI am little confuse from this, you know I started read about this few weeks ago .Thx you for response

cannot connect to the server

Posted: 21 May 2013 06:15 AM PDT

We have a SQL server 2008 Cluster instance. Our SSIS package failed early morning. And the web site uses it shows:Cannot connect to the configuration database.Also I see some maintenance plan failed on the server. It said cannot connect to the instance.This cluster has two instances installed on it. In windows error log, I also see something like below:The SQLBrowser service was unable to process a client request.I see all the sql services is running, I restart SQL browser.Half an hour later, the site is running again. Not sure if it is the reason I restart SQL browser, or any other things happened.It is running now, but we would like to figure out why the connection is broken.Any ideas? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog