Wednesday, February 27, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Powershell - Any Reason NOT to Install ?

[MS SQL Server] Powershell - Any Reason NOT to Install ?


Powershell - Any Reason NOT to Install ?

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 03:35 AM PST

I have a mix of 2005 & 2008 SQL servers, but only 1 has Powershell installed. I would like to build some utilities using it. For instance, an alert when disk space is low.Are there any dangers to installing Powershell on our Windows 2003 R2 Servers running SQL ?

Quick Index/Statistics Question

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 12:52 AM PST

Hi Everyone,Hope your all having a good day :-) I was just doing some index and statistic research and was wondering if anyone had any useful tips or queries for checking to see if my indexes applied are doing their job? I find many people saying when a query is slow that applying a new index using the query tuner isnt always a good idea but they never seem to say what should be done instead :ermm: Could anyone tell me what their schedule is for keeping on top of things? Thanks in advance all,Regards,Craig

Finding resources username

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 12:43 AM PST

Does anyone has any query which determins the high usage of resources from particular user or domainid. I need to setup a resource governor and need to find out whichusers trying to access hugh resources, therefore for that user I can assign a resource governor. I am able to find HIGH cpu usage but i cannot determine which user is running it.I know we can do through profile, but just want to cross check with you to see, if there is anyway determing which user or which application is utilizing lot of resources.Thanks.

Can't Kill SPID “Transaction Rollback in Progress”

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 08:01 AM PST

I'm running into frequent Blocking on a Development Server.I have been correctly the code or making recommendations to prevent this but new code keeps getting executed and by the time I find out about it it is too late.When I attempt to kill the SPID the Rollback is stuck at 0%.I get the following message when I retry killing the SPID.transaction rollback in progress. Estimated rollback completion: 0%. Estimated time remaining: 0 seconds.KILL SPID WITH StatusOnly does not work.I have had to restart the SQL Server Service, Set the Database OFFLINE and try to bring it back ONLINE and and force it to recover.This is making me nervous.Any suggestions?

SQL SERVER 2008 R2 Standard Edition Encryption?

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 10:14 PM PST

any option in sql server 2008 r2 standard edition can encrypt a database, other than changing the application?

Backup times...

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 08:02 PM PST

Hi,I have a 4.5GB database that takes about 67sec to restore and 30sec to backup.Since it has a lot of unicode fields and the app doesn't support it, i decided to change them o ASCII, and NTEXT/TEXT to VARCHAR(MAX), and VARCHAR(<=3) to CHAR(#).I generated the structure script and changed the fields, crated a new database and then I copied the data.The new database still uses 3GB but to restore only takes 20sec as does the backup...Is the normal? The same data, just less 33% space but 70% faster on restore...The backups are compressed, the original is 900MB and the ASCII is 700MB..I get 64MB/s on the original and 150MB/s on the new one from the disks...Thanks,Pedro

Memory Clerks Discrepancy

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 07:53 PM PST

Hi allEnvironment: SQL 2008 Ent SP3I am noticing a discrepancy in my Memory Clerks for SQL Plans (Adhoc plans)Running this query produces 1101MB for SQL Plans[code="sql"]SELECT TOP(20) [type], [name], SUM(single_pages_kb)/1024 AS [SPA Mem, Mb] FROM sys.dm_os_memory_clerks GROUP BY [type], [name] ORDER BY SUM(single_pages_kb) DESC;[/code]Running this query produces 150MB [code="sql"]SELECT sum(cast(size_in_bytes as decimal(18,2)))/1024/1024 AS [Total MBs]FROM sys.dm_exec_cached_planswhere objtype = 'Adhoc'[/code]Is this a bug? Am I missing something here?Thanks

Low Performance - High CPU Problem and others...

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 01:12 AM PST

Hello everyone,I got the Problem, that my SQL Server has always 97-99% CPU usage. We have snapshot isolation mode enabled, because we had a lot of deadlocks before. Old relicts are also the with nolocks and explicit rowlocks used by the developers. All I can see, is that the most CPU-consuming queries are queries which are joining at least 5 tables and have a lot of search predicates. When I take a look at the execution plan i see that 66% are wasted on a key lookup of a primary key. As far es I understand, I have to add the field of the primary key as include to an exisiting index. Is this the right way? I'm sure the experts here can help me!Thanks in advance and greetzKSCPS: Another phenomenon I saw now is that these high-cpu-queries run forever and at a certain point all spids get killed an reactivated. The developers already reported me about timeouts in their queries. What could this be?PPS: Just tell me which further details would be helpful...

Identifying Machine\IP

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 05:19 PM PST

Hi Experts,We had a situation in which one user fetching data . We got machine\username but searching with that value in AD didnt give any result.Is there anyway to get more info about the user\machine\ip?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog