Monday, July 8, 2013

[SQL Server] Upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008

[SQL Server] Upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008


Upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008

Posted: 08 Jul 2013 06:07 AM PDT

I'm looking to upgrade 4-5 SQL Server 2000 database instances to 2008. Most are SP3 but one is RTM. Upgrade destination is SQL Server 2008 Enterprise edition (side by side upgrade). Three questions: 1. Is it necessary to upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SP4? 2. The supposed OS requirement before upgrading is Windows Server 2003, SP2. The upgrade candidates have Windows 2003 SP1 and Windows 2000 SP4. Is this a concern? 3. I want to copy the .bak file to the test SQL 2008 instance, then restore. Any issues or concerns here?Any comments would be appreciated - thank you.

Update Novell eDirectory from a SQL Server database

Posted: 08 Jul 2013 01:38 AM PDT

I'm really sorry, here's yet another of my terrible questions. I apologise in advance!I've been asked to provide some information from the HR database to update our Novell eDirectory system, the idea being that when a new starter starts, their email account etc. can be set up automatically. Likewise when they leave, their network account can be closed automatically, etc. (Yes, we're a good 10 years behind everybody else.) If they change their name, they want this to be reflected too. You get the idea.I am told by our directory person that eDirectory 'only works on updates', so I've been asked to write a series of triggers such that any time the data in a number of fields (about 25 so far!) is updated, these changes will be written to what they refer to as 'intermediate tables' (actually a separate database) in the form of some sort of event log which eDirectory can then check against. I don't know anything about eDirectory and I have no way of knowing that what I'm being told is right. I very strongly do NOT want to use triggers for this. They're a nightmare to maintain, and it's very hard to diagnose problems when they fail. I'd much rather grant access as a view, or maybe even a scheduled export of data, but I'm being told that eDirectory can't cope with this. I have no way of knowing if this is right or not; does anybody here know, please? Surely there must be a way to refresh the data in eDirectory every day?Thanks in advance.

Generate Script with Data

Posted: 08 Jul 2013 01:20 AM PDT

I am trying to generate a script with data.I have imported this data from Excel to SQL and now need to forward the script in SQL to my colleagues in notepad.I tried to follow the link : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/982568/what-is-the-best-way-to-auto-generate-insert-statements-for-a-sql-server-tableBut don't seem to locate the advance button.Kindly advise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog