Monday, July 29, 2013

[SQL 2012] SQL Server Multiplexing and Device CAL

[SQL 2012] SQL Server Multiplexing and Device CAL


SQL Server Multiplexing and Device CAL

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 03:19 AM PDT

So, I am working on trying to determine how many device CALs we need for our system, and we are having a bit of a problem determining how many device CALs are needed. Hoping to get some guidance here, on 2 different areas.[b]Overview of system:[/b]Devices in people's homes transmit via RF to a Gateway (hardware), which then takes all of those transmissions and sends them to a central server, where a Windows service receives it in and inputs the data into the SQL database. Now, in cases where the device in people's homes can not reach the Gateway, we have handheld devices that get loaded with information to go out and obtain this information. Typically this is loaded manually, but we do have the ability to load the handheld device automatically. If the device is loaded automatically, the files that would have been created manually, are created and then transmitted to the handheld though a wireless connection.[b]Questions:[/b]So the above leads to 2 questions.1. do the devices in peoples homes require Device CALs? They do not access the databases directly ever, and the data is passed to and from the Gateway itself.2. When handhelds are loaded automatically, do they need a Device CAL? Any help would be much appreciated.Long story about why we are not talking to a VAR yet. I have read thought all the Microsoft documentation I can find, but the rules are not clear about the above.ThanksLD

Always On Design

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 03:00 AM PDT

Not asking for the solution but I am trying to come up with a conceptual design for an AlwaysOn solution. We have 2 seperate clusters, 1 at the primary site, 1 at DR, both of which contain 2 nodes, active/passive and I'm struggling a little to redesign this within 2012.Its multi subnet and I know we can have a similar solution to the 2 cluster 2 node as exampled here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff878716.aspx but we dont have disk replication available (not sure why not, but we cant) so thats why I'm looking into availability groups.I got to a 3 node, easy enough with 2 at the primary and 1 at the DR site and looked at 1 primary 3 secondary too but I dont know if its possible to incorporate the 2 clustered setups into the availability group structure? As said, just some pointers would be really appreciated.Many thanks.

I need someone who can mentor me as a professional DBA/Developer

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 10:05 AM PDT

Hello Dear SQL central users and Database professionals I was thinking about someone who can mentor me in a way that is convenient both me and that person.I like to be improving my skills ones a while specially the followingDevelop t-sql fundamentalsSSIS fundamentalsDBA high level tasks BI skills fundamentalsso if you think you can spend few minutes to an hour a month to answering questions I may have please send me an email to Zocial411@gmail.com and thank you very much in advance

Always on Secondry database backup plan & Recovering.

Posted: 08 Mar 2013 11:14 PM PST

Hi All,Can any one suggest me one good backup plan for Always on secondaries server... ?Currently i am planning to doOne Full copy only backup--- Every 24 hour :Every 30 min Log backup.I am looking for the solution for recovering the database using this backup strategy.

Help Needed

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 10:58 PM PDT

HI,Iam migrating code from SYBASE database to SQL 2012. I came across a scenario in SYBASE that I have to deal with a statementSET TABLE COUNT <some number>When I checked this in SYBASE infocentre, I came to know that ,this statement tells the query optimizer to use user defined number of tables ,while joining multiple tables. I want to know, is there any command in sql 2012,which is functionally equivalent ?Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog