Thursday, June 13, 2013

[SQL 2012] Page life expectancy diving to sub-10 on a 128 GB server

[SQL 2012] Page life expectancy diving to sub-10 on a 128 GB server


Page life expectancy diving to sub-10 on a 128 GB server

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 09:36 AM PST

Last weekend we migrated our primary ERP system from a Windows 2003, SQL 2008R2 server to a windows 2008R2, SQL 2012 server.The new servers are much beefier than the old ones, including an extra 32 gig of ram. The ERP database is ~500 gig, of which a good amount is audit data. On the old server I generally had page life expectancy values around 1000 or more for normal daily activity.On the new server I have been capturing perfmon stats for the past week and I see the PLE jumping all over the place. It climbs up into the several hundred but then suiddenly dives to ridiculously low values like 12 or even 7. The server usage profile has not changed, it's still the same users and applications doing the same things they were doing last week.The instance is set to have min 70 gig, max 110 gig allocated to SQL.The service account has lock pages in memory permission.Can anyone think of some setting I might have missed during migraiton, or some new option to be set in SQL2012 that I've overlooked, that could explain this?

Trying to add sharepoint list adapter to VS toolbox

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 09:26 PM PDT

Hi guys, this msi comes from codeple: https://sqlsrvintegrationsrv.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SharePoint List Adapters&referringTitle=DocumentationI am trying to add it to my toolbox in 2012. No matter what I do, I have followed the suggestions they give, I cant pull it into my toolbox.Any suggestions?There is an x86 and an x64 version. I have tried both. also both run as admin. no luck. anyone out there with the same issue?thanks a mil

SSAS/MDX Unit Testing

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 08:31 PM PDT

Hi All,I've been doing a bit of searching round for ways to unit test cubes and the results seem to be limited. What we're trying to do is make sure that any releases we make to live don't alter the existing numbers, unless we are aware that this should be the case, obviously we'd then make a change to the tests.I've been toying with the idea of creating framework using ADOMD.NET, but this appears to be limited to single result set numbers, e.g.[code="sql"]Select [Measures].[Total Sales Value] On 0From [My Cube]Where [Date].[Year - Month - Day].[Date].&[20130313][/code]Does anyone have any ideas? In the meantime I'll continue searching round for ADOMD.NET stuff and post back any results I find.Cheers,Jim.

LDAP using SQL 2012

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 09:02 AM PDT

In our current system, we query the LDAP using SQL 2008R2 but are moving to SQL 2012 where we have hit a snag. According to [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707782.aspx]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707782.aspx[/url] one of the discontinued features of SQL 2012 is the AD helper service. Does anyone know of a way to query the AD from SQL 2012?

Avoiding a database heart attack

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 08:25 AM PDT

Not long ago, my friend Ayman (DBA/BI developer at the American College of Cardiology in D.C.) and I were discussing the immense value for IT professionals when they observe and interact with their business. Interestingly, Ayman had produced a blog series on the value he reaped from interacting with his business (watching open heart surgery) that we transformed into a seven page guide entitled 'How to Avoid a Database Heart Attack: http://www.infusivesolutions.com/how-to-avoid-a-database-heart-attackNow the reason I choose to post this in a technical forum is this. I recently spoke with SQL MVP Kevin Kline who explained to me that if he could do a 'transaction rollback' and change one thing in his life, it would be to advise his earlier self that IT is not just IT ... it is a means to solve business problems. Consequently, I believe that digesting information explaining how you can reap value from business observation to be of great importance.Nonetheless, for those who don't want to check out the content, I'd like to open a dialogue. How do you interact with the business at your firm and how has it helped you better perform in the IT department?

Cores not being used on Windows 2008 SQL Server 2012

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 04:53 AM PDT

Hi,I am experiencing instances where not all the cores are being utilize for certain queries in SQL Server 2012. When this happens one of the cores becomes max to 100% CPU usage. This causes everything on the server to slow down and no one else can use the sql server until the offending query is kill from the server. My guess is that it is related to parallelism.Any suggestions on how to go about debugging this? I can't see the actual execution plan because we always end up killing the offending query. It is a production machine so I can't really play around with it. Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog