Monday, June 17, 2013

[SQL 2012] Nesting of Transaction

[SQL 2012] Nesting of Transaction


Nesting of Transaction

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 01:02 AM PDT

SQL Server allows the nesting of transactions. Like:BEGIN TRAN BEGIN TRAN code... COMMIT TRAN BEGIN TRAN code... COMMIT TRANCOMMIT TRANBut is it really required the nesting of transaction, as we can do all transaction in a single BEGIN...COMMIT TRAN?

sql server 2012 scheduled jobs won't start

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 05:57 AM PDT

Hello,I have done a big migration from Sql2008 to Sql2012 and besides a few Oracle related problems I have run into strange behavior with scheduled JOBs - they won't run...:)I have created the jobs by migrating the create scripts from Sql 2008 server and by just replacing the server names and the users that own the JOBs.I can run the JOBs fine manually but nothing happens when scheduled...?I have even added the accounts running both Sql Server and Sql Agent services to local Admin groupMicrosoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3128.0 (X64) Dec 28 2012 20:23:12 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)Can you help?Ville

AG Groups Vs Shared Storage

Posted: 29 May 2013 09:22 PM PDT

Hello,Im pretty new to SQL and im currently on a steep learning curve in my new job role. Im going through setting up an Availability Group (AG) with the need for shared storage, i have this working in conjunction with WSFC on Server 2012.My question is, the AG asks for a shared network location that the nodes can both see, now correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this essentially the same as using shared storage on a SAN? We currently use SQL 2008 on a NetApp SAN for shared storage using full blown Server 2008 clustering for fail-over.It occurred to me while writing documentation that its basically the same thing as shared storage so why would you want to use AG over shared storage? I realize it has the benefits of offloading reporting to secondary replicas but i assume these same functions can be used with SAN storage. Also would you use a local shared folder (local to the node) or a share on a separate server all together that isn't part of the cluster?Apologies if i'm not making sense, its my first time and want to get it right in my head before i present it to my colleagues.Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog