Wednesday, June 19, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Need to free up Physical memory (RAM)

[MS SQL Server] Need to free up Physical memory (RAM)


Need to free up Physical memory (RAM)

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 05:05 AM PDT

Hi,There were lots of PAGEIOLATCH_SH waits while running queries, when drilled down I found the statistics were out of date, hence I ran update statistics to all databases. That time usage of physical memory became high and it hold almost full (63.6 GB out of 64 GB). Now Update Statistics activity has been finished and all the queries respond very fast but the usage of physical memory remains 63.6GB only. The Windows Task Manager->Processes->sqlservr.exe shows it holds only 961,360 KB of Memory. Other processes also don't take much memory. It is a Production server - I can't restart. Hence please help me to free up space.ThanksBala

service pack on cluster

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 10:59 AM PDT

We have a sharepoint farm that uses a cluster for database server.The cluster has two nodes, one active the other is passive.The database server now is SQL 2008 SP1, and sharepoint is Sharepoint 2007(MOSS 2007) SP2.Now I would like to apply SQL server 2008 SP3 on the cluster - two nodes.I have experiences to apply Service pack, but this one has some complications. First it is a cluster, second it is a sharepoint cluster that we don't have much control of their databases.I never did this before, and we donot have a test environment.I did find a knowlegebase article 958734 in microsoft talking about failover cluster rolling patch but it sounds very complicated.We only have two nodes, so I don't feel comfortable with following the article:I asked the original person who installed the cluster, he mentioned the SQL instances are installed first on Node1, then add to Node2.here is what I plan to do after some research online:1. Apply the hotfix on pasive node N22. Reboot the passive node N23. Failover on SQL resource : the passive node become the active node4. Apply the hotfix on the passive node N15. Reboot the passive node N16. Actually I want to use N1 as active node, so failover to N1 again to make N1 active node.My question is :Is that all I need to do?For N2, what is exactly do on the internal update, will it only do SP for client since it is an added node?Anyone has similar setup for sharepoint database, can you share some experience of apply sp on the the nodes? What I need to pay attention to?Actually we don't care too much about down time, so any way that can help do the SP safely should work for us.Thanks,

uninstall service pack

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 10:41 AM PDT

Any one knows how to uninstall a service pack of SQL server 2008 Sp3?Thanks

Detect missing db FULL backup and backup that db

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 10:52 AM PDT

I have a problem I am trying to solve. I would like to run a query of some sort that will compare a list of active databases on an instance of SQL and compare it to the backup history. If a full backup exists for that db, then ignore it. However, if a FULL backup does NOT exist for that db, then perform a FULL backup of that db.So, in simpler form:If the database has a FULL backup, do nothingIf the database does NOT have a FULL backup, take a FULL backup of that db.Any help would be appreciated. I can find several excellent scripts here that will check to see if a db has a backup...but nothing that will allow me to compare and then perform a backup. I'm not sure how to put all of it together.Thanks!

creating an instance of the com component with clsid {aa40d1d6-caef-4a56-b9bb-d0d3dc976ba2} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error : c001f011

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 03:40 PM PDT

Hi Folks,i tried to edit a job step from ssms and am getting the following error.i've attached the screenshot of the error, please kindly help me how to fix this error..TIA..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog