Saturday, May 11, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Index on a Column with NULLs

[MS SQL Server] Index on a Column with NULLs


Index on a Column with NULLs

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:39 PM PDT

Hello EveryoneI hope that everyone is having a great weekend.I am looking over some tables and index plan that is currently in place. I see some queries that use other columns that have a non-clustered index, but then also adds one column that is not in the index. The one column currently has all NULL values. I am trying to learn how an index works with NULLs. I would greatly appreciate any advice on using / creating index on a column with NULL values. I have read the BOL, but still a little uncertain about this topic.How would this affect the performance of an index?I greatly appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.Thanks in advanceAndrew SQLDBA

Moving from Standalone to clustered SQL

Posted: 10 May 2013 06:44 AM PDT

Hi -We have a standalone SQL box that we need to migrate all the DBs to a new clusted environment that we will be building. The storage team with me detaching the existing storage desks from the standalone to the clusered servers so we do not move databases, just attach them back to the new clustered servers. The question I have is howto handle the system databases. From some links I see that others recommend restoring system databases, and then attaching the databases. Can you please tell me what is the best way is to handle the master database? Do you restore the master first, then do msdb and model DBs afterwards? The two new nodes we have need to be clustered? Is it better to first make the two nodes set as clustered and then have the storage team do the actual attachments to disks the day we go live?! What is the best way to set the clustered environment?

Increasing Performance of Database

Posted: 10 May 2013 09:04 PM PDT

Dear,Some of my tables contain more than [b]500 thousands[/b] rows. When I access those tables through my Application or execute a query, it takes time that is noticable.So I think I need to do some maintenance/administrative tasks on those table. But I am stuck what to do.Please suggest me what to do to improve the situation.Rgds,Akbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog