Saturday, April 6, 2013

[SQL Server] How to choose which instance of SQL Server I am using

[SQL Server] How to choose which instance of SQL Server I am using


How to choose which instance of SQL Server I am using

Posted: 06 Apr 2013 05:16 AM PDT

I'm having a hard time figuring this out, and it's a very basic question, so maybe I'm just having a hard time understanding the basics of this concept. Any help would be greatly appreciated!I previously had SQL Server Express 2008 set up on my home computer (windows 7), and I've been using that for a while.I wanted to start working through a book on BI, so I installed the evaluation version of SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2008. It wouldn't let me upgrade Express (it was getting an error) so i instead chose to install a second instance of SQL Server (called MSSQLSERVER) on the machine.My basic question is, how do I control which instance I am using? As I go through my exercises with this BI book, do I need to make sure I am using the Enterprise version and not the Express? If so, how do i do that? In my programs menu, I only see one version of SQL Server 2008. When i open it, I am still able to connect using SSMS and see all the databases I saw before. It connects to this server:localhost\sqlexpressI know that both instances are installed on my machine, because if I go to Run > services.mscI see services for both instances, one called SQLEXPRESS and the other called MSSQLSERVERUsing SSMS, I have tried to connect to localhost\sqlexpress\mssqlserverand localhost\mssqlserverhowever, neither of these will connect. How do I connect to this second instance?Thanks very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog