Tuesday, April 2, 2013

[SQL Server] Audit Trail

[SQL Server] Audit Trail


Audit Trail

Posted: 02 Apr 2013 07:16 AM PDT

Hi,I have a question about how to approach a audit trail requirement for my application. I need to perform audit trails on certain situations so I would like to automatically log with the data records. The data I will like to log are the program name, user, host of the session performing the inserts, updates, deletions of records. I am taking this approach because based on the system requirements I know for example that some inserts should only be done via programX so if I see an insert from a different program I should flag that record on my audit trail report. I see were I can use the system DM to get the information so could modified my store procedures to get the information and update the necessary fields in the records. Or should I create triggers to automatically handle this. thanks

Help with replication scenario

Posted: 02 Apr 2013 07:45 AM PDT

I have a scenario at work where I need to replicate (in the general sense, not necessarily in the "sql server replication" sense) a database in approximate realtime between two instances on separate servers. The source server is running sqlserver 2000 standard and is a 24x7 database running a vendor-supplied dispatch program. Altering the structure of this DB is a non-starter.The destination server runs sqlserver 2008r2 and does web services.I tried setting up a transactional replication publication on the source, but it failed because several of the tables have > 255 columns. I got errors saying the articles couldn't have this many columns, and the snapshot couldn't be created.So I looked at doing mirroring, but I don't think I can do database mirroring with server 2000, correct?I also looked into log shipping, but apparently you need sqlserver 2000 enterprise to do log shipping (later releases do it with any version of the db).Does anyone have advice or corrections for me? Can I do mirroring? Can I make log shipping happen with 2000 standard edition? Is there an easy fix for replication of big tables?Also, is the 255 columns limitation specific to sqlserver 2000, or do all releases have that limit?

Had a job failure but it doesn't appear in the job history

Posted: 08 Mar 2013 01:36 AM PST

Hello,I am documenting job failures in the last two months and I cannot find the one that we had in that period. I looked in the job history and also in the event logs. Can a job fail without recording it? Is there something I have to set to make it write to the job history (I've never known that to be the case)? Thank you in advance.

Available disk space policy

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 06:35 AM PST

Hi everyone. I designated a SQL Server 2008 instance to act as a central management server. It is running a really nice tool called Enterprise Policy Management Framework that reports policy failures on a dashboard.I would like to design a policy that looks at the disk space that I am using to store my SQL Server backups and reports when the space is low.For example, a policy that evaluates <used drive space of backup volume> <= <80% of total drive space of backup volume> so that I have a warning when my backups might soon fail.I found a field called @AvailableSpace in the policy wizard but I don't see one for total space.Am I approaching this right?Thanks much,Howard

Stupid Question: Return Object Explorer to It's original position

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 07:57 AM PST

Stupid question but I accidentally moved object explorer from it's original default position on SSMS. By default, object explorer is to the left, and query window is to the right. Now object explorer seems to have been "undocked" and query window occupies the screen from left to right, such that if I open a new query it opens "behind" object explorer. How do I restore the original "default" view in SSMS?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog