Sunday, April 7, 2013

[MS SQL Server] sql server how to split a mirrored db on to multiple devices

[MS SQL Server] sql server how to split a mirrored db on to multiple devices


sql server how to split a mirrored db on to multiple devices

Posted: 07 Apr 2013 02:55 AM PDT

Say I have a large production mirrored 1TB DB that resides on a single MDF device and I would like to split that up into say 5 200 Gig devices. I want to do this without interruption to Production.I thought I could break the mirror and use the RESTORE process for creating a mirror to achieve the split to multiple devices quickly and without interruption to Production. Doing this twice would allow me to get this done in a few hours.Has anyone done this? Is it the preferred method seeing as we are mirroring anyways?What are other my alternatives, Pros and Cons? And gotchas?Also, I recall another more organic process where one would create the 5 new New Devices and somehow, over time get the objects to move over to the new devices. Not sure of the process for this but I seem to recall it being discussed. Sounds like this could take a long time and possibly cause some clocking at times?Thanks...Ray

SQL Server silent installation - problem with cleartext passwords

Posted: 06 Apr 2013 10:10 AM PDT

Hi, We are planning to install SQL 2008 on over a large number of servers using the silent installation technique. 1. Since we are using mixed authentication, we need to specify a password for the SA account. We would have to specify it in the config file for silent install. 2. The account used to start SQL Server & SQL Server Agent service is a local windows account and its the same across all servers. I believe we will have to specify it in config file.Specifying above passwords in a cleartext config file would be a security issue. Is there any way to store these passwords in an encrypted format?Thanks,Akshay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog