Tuesday, April 30, 2013

[MS SQL Server] reporting server, separate or not

[MS SQL Server] reporting server, separate or not


reporting server, separate or not

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 04:25 AM PDT

I would like to know from other DBAs, how do you setup your reporting server, you use a seperate server or on the same database server that has the data source for the reports?In our environment, we intall database servers and SSIS on the same server, and install reporting service on a separate server (with database engines too, but it only hosts reportdb, and tempreportdb) for at that time reporting service is using IIS, so we think it is good to separate them because performance and security.Now we are upgrading it to SQL 2008 R2, which will not use IIS for reporting server any more, I wonder [b]if it is good[/b] to install all - db engine, ssis, ssrs on one box, this will save a hardware, but not sure if this will affect performance or others.Thanks,

Avamar Transaction Log Backup Issue

Posted: 04 Feb 2013 01:34 AM PST

Hi,We just recently started using Avamar to backup everything including an hourly SQL server transaction log backup. The issue we're having is that since we started using Avamar, the transaction file (LDF) file keeps growing very large. Has anyone experienced this issue before? If not, any idea?Thanks,

Help with a Deadlock Issue

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 06:42 AM PDT

Recently we have started seeing some deadlocks reported on a database instance. I have enabled the trace -T1222 and am trying to interpret what has been returned in the logs : (the actual queries are quite lengthy)Spid 161 is running this query (line 14 of proc [1]): SELECT ...... from table1 .....Spid 98 is running this query (adhoc line 1 of proc [p2]): UPDATE .....from table1Spid 161 is waiting for a Shared page lock on index table1.idx1. (Spid 98 holds a conflicting IX lock.)Spid 98 is waiting for an (IX page lock on index table1.idx2. (Spid 161 holds a conflicting Shared lock.)Just after some advice on what I can look at to resolve the deadlock. My hands are a bit tied as the update command is being called by a suppliers application and this and the underlying tables cant be altered.The Select command is an in house process that we can look at changing but I'm not sure what can be done to the select statement to stop the lock. I have seen the NOLOCK table hint but I'm a little reluctant to suggest this as a solution.Thanks for any helpFrant101

Advice in restore and backup check schedule

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 07:29 AM PDT

Ok,We all know how important to check (and restore) your backup file is, right? ;-) ... so I am trying to follow that good practice without making it an impossible task. (I have hundreds of databases assigned to me, space and time is limited)So my question would be, or more kind of a poll question, what schedule do you use? Here's what I am trying to implement. -Weekly check (Sundays): critical clients or anything above 100GB-Monthly check(Sundays): anything lower than 100GB or any other client.I am using RedGate 7.0 which allows me, as part as the regular check, do the following:-Grab backup file from backup repository using Scheduled Restore feature-Restore database-Run DBCC-Delete if everything went fine-Send email informingFor the Weekly checks, I was planning to start those at 2am, 4am, 6am, and so on. Now, the Monthly checks is what confuses me. I was planning to do that randomly, but how should I schedule those?Any hints? :rolleyes:By the way, the SQL instance I am using is not a production box. So does not running anything critical. However, I prefer to restore and check weekends, so it will not make it too slow (it's a VMware machine)Any suggestion is highly appreciated

Hidden job keep on failing every 2 minutes with sql server agent account on mirror side

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 07:06 AM PDT

HI,I am unable to find the job keep on failing job on mirroring side in every 2 minutes with sql server agent account,I am not seeing any scheduled jobs in sql server agent..If you guys have any idea about to troubleshooting..plz help me...

SSMS very laggy when typing a query

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 05:50 AM PDT

This is a strange one. I am typing a query in SQL Server Management Studio. Nothing is executing on the server. I actually get an hourglass as I type the query at which point I am forced to wait up to 10 seconds before I can type again. I may get one word typed before I get another hourglass.I tried to RDP to the server directly (thinking it may be something on my computer) and the problem happened there as well. I did a task manager and all the processors were maxed out and the memory usage was maxed as well. SSMS was using 100% of the server. Again, nothing was executing. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog