Friday, April 26, 2013

[MS SQL Server] dbo user in the database has a domain login account

[MS SQL Server] dbo user in the database has a domain login account


dbo user in the database has a domain login account

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 03:13 AM PDT

I'm going over my server security to remove our previous DBA. One of the odd things a found on our security server, among other things, is that when I check the properties of the database user dbo the login name mapped to it is our previous DBA windows domain account. So I have a couple of questions:1- is this right? Shouldn't the dbo database user be mapped to sa?2- how got it mapped like that? Any ideas?3- if it's wrong, how do I change it and to what?Security seems to be running out of whack here and we need to keep it under control. I'm trying to make the best out of it and to make sense of it as well. Any ideas would be very appreciated.Thanks.

Suggestions on ways to stay abreast of SQL updates?

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 11:23 PM PDT

So my new job requires that SQL instances be kept up to current and supported versions, including security updates / fixes.I'm sure MS has a page which lists the current updates available for SQL and when support for them ends.Ideally, this would also allow me to look over the updates / fixes / improvements, and decide if I want to load them now, or later.Thanks,Jason A.

huge log file

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 02:23 PM PDT

Dear ExpertsI have a 3 GB mdf file and 355 GB ldf file.What should I do, I have taken a backup to the transaction log, should i delete the log fileThanks

Need to maintain the databases

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 11:43 PM PDT

I have a database in a simple mode as we do not use transaction logs for restore purposes, I ran some queries to delete some data and not nsed tables to free up some space.I give you an example, I have a database 70 GB in size, I deleted the data and I still see my database is showing the same size, can I shrink the data files,what is the risk please? Can I get the best way to go around to get the space freed up,Thanks in Advance,Bubby

Installing SP AND CU on Cluster

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 07:26 AM PDT

What is the best practice for installing a SQL Service Pack and a Cumulative Update on a clustered index during the same downtime? We have a production SQL 2008 R2 RTM 2-node cluster and want to upgrade to SP2, CU3. Is it1) Install SP & CU on the passive node2) Failover3) Install SP & CU on the other node.OR1) Install SP on the passive node2) Failover3) Install SP & CU on the other node.4) Failover5) Install CU on the 1st (now passive) nodeOR1) Install SP on the passive node2) Failover3) Install SP on the other node.4) Failover5) Install CU on the 1st (now passive) node6) Failover7) Install CU on the (now passive) node.My concern: Is there a significant risk in installing a CU before the instance is brought online (and completes the script upgrade) for the previous Service Pack?

How can we avoid before changes inserts into CDC Tables in SQL Server

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 10:04 AM PDT

HI All,As you all know we have 1 insert in CDC Table for respective insert operation in base table. 2 inserts in CDC table for respective update operation in base table. 1 = delete2 = insert3 = update (old values)4 = update (new values)can we avoid 3 = update (old values) in CDC tables? Is there a way? I was just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog