Wednesday, April 24, 2013

[MS SQL Server] 2005 Ent to 2008 R2 Std

[MS SQL Server] 2005 Ent to 2008 R2 Std


2005 Ent to 2008 R2 Std

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 04:47 AM PDT

Hi,We are looking to upgrade SQL Server from 2005 Enterprise Ed to 2008 R2 Standard Ed.Assuming there are no enterprise features in place, can a straightforward in-place upgrade be performed? I've seen in other sites that the procedure for downgrading editions requires uninstalling/installing SQL Server, but there were no version changes involved there.thank you

Table size swell after altering a column

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 05:07 AM PDT

HiI recently ran some code that altered some columns in a 38 million row table from varchar to nvarchar. Before the code the 38 million rows consumed 7Gb of space. After i can the code to alter the column to nvarchar the table now takes up 13gb of space.The reason this concerns me is that i ran the same process on a test environment and the 38 million rows only consumes 8gb of space.I have run dbcc checktable and it returns no errors. Is there a way i can check the table page usage to see what might be going on ( i have run shrinkfile but this only reclaimed the free space) im concerned that table had doubled in size and might have duplicated / wasted data causing slowness in the application.Im using sql server 2008 r2 and running the alter table xxx alter column xxx command Any thoughts would be greatFrant101

What do DBAs need to know about networking technologies?

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 07:44 AM PDT

Hi,Could anyone point me to a reference or two that describes the kinds of networking knowledge (technical not social or business networking :-p ) that are important for DBAs to master?I realize this is probably a huge topic, but I'm just looking for an entry point to form a list of things to study and practice.Thanks in advance for any help.- webrunner

Adding Report Services to existing passive cluster node

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 03:25 AM PDT

I have a clustered SQL Server 2008 R2 setup. Node01 = runs an instance of Report Services pointing at a production report services database on the cluster.Node02 = isn't running a Report Services instance.The clustered server contains two primary application databases - Production and StagingThe already installed RS instance on Node01 services the production database. I need to setup Reporting Services on Node02 so that it will service the Staging database.I began rolling through the setup on Node02 this morning but it failed validation saying that this instance was already clustered. I noted that early on in the setup program, it wanted me to choose the instance to install RS onto, but the pull down only listed the cluster name...not the particular Node name(s).What steps am I going to have to follow to install an RS instance on Node02 that ties to the Staging database? I found a couple of posts in the forum here describing similar but not quite the same circumstances.I'm new to working with clustered servers, so I'm a little confused about what things I can and can't do while the cluster is running. Can I simply "pause" the Node02 machine and then run the SETUP.exe program? Do I have bring the Node02 resource offline first?As always, any help any of you can toss my way will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!Larry

Incorrect syntax near '-'

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 12:42 AM PDT

I am receiving this following error on step 1 on a job that I am trying to run. LoadAllDatabaseInfoAccrossServerDuration 00:00:00Sql Severity 15Sql Message ID 102Operator Emailed Operator Net sent Operator Paged Retries Attempted 0MessageExecuted as user: Domain\AccountA. Incorrect syntax near '-'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102). The step failed.The sql server service's are setup with SQL domain accounts and I have a secure link created between ServerA and ServerB. When I run each SP manually they run without any error but when ran from a sql job I receive the above error. Is there something i'm missing in the linked server? Here is the code I usedEXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin --@rmtsrvname = N'ServerB', --@locallogin = NULL , --@useself = N'False', --@rmtuser = N'UserB', --@rmtpassword = N'password'--GoThe server I'm running the job on is SQL 2008 R2 and ServerB is SQL Server 2005.

Process causing high Reads - cube?

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 02:01 AM PDT

How can I find out which process, if any, is causing high reads against a cube? Our SAN guys are telling us that there is significant spike causing lag on the SAN. Through our queries, we do not see anything in the database engine that correlates with this. Our assumption is that it is SSAS, but I don't know how to determine this. Help!?

Upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL 2008 R2

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 12:56 AM PDT

This might sound like an obviously simple question - but just wanted to check before I take the plunge...I have a production server that is running on SQL 2005 - I would like to upgrade to 2008.It is a simple case of ... BACKUP / BACKUP then DVD in and run the upgrade wizard.Check SP's and Triggers - Simples right ?

Long running CDC Capture

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 10:57 AM PDT

Hi All,I have a major issue now in my SQL Instance where in I my CDC capture is 48 behind my ETL on base tables. CDC retention is 8 days. we have 8 million updates and 2 million inserts every 4 hours on the database. How can i reduce the latency. Please help.

Catching culprits of high tempdb growth

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 11:48 PM PDT

Hello,We are facing issues with tempdb on our SQL server 2008 clustered instance. The SQL version is Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2714.0 (X64) May 14 2009 16:08:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 <X64> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2) Once or twice a month, tempdb grows to unexpectedly high values and log file growth fills up the drive. The problem is that it is happening at Random times and there is no trend. We are looking to find out what is causing the tempdb to fill. Is there a script that I can deploy in my environment using which I can find out the culprits that are growing my tempdb? I tried searching through default trace files but those are not very helpful. This has been a headache since last 3 months or so and everytime we have to restart SQL server during production hours to solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog