Wednesday, March 27, 2013

[SQL 2012] Low memory usage and low PLE on 23GB virtual server

[SQL 2012] Low memory usage and low PLE on 23GB virtual server


Low memory usage and low PLE on 23GB virtual server

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:24 PM PDT

I am trying to help a customer with a performance problem on a SQL server that runs several different OLTP systems. The system is continuously handling hundreds of batches per second. CPU load is very low, the disk is 100% busy almost all the time.Users are complaining about longer response times than expected. This is a brand new server, so we have no previous baseline.This is a virtual server using Hyper-V, the physical server is only used for this virtual server.16 logical CPU:s28GB memory23GB allocated to SQL server using minimum and maximum server memorySQL Server 2012, Standard editionLock Pages in memory is NOT enabledWhen looking at memory usage on the machine, there does not seem to be any external memory pressure - there is no paging and there seems to always be physical memory available.When trying to diagnose the problem I have found something that I think might be the cause of the heavy disk read activity.I watch the following perfmon counters:SQL Server Memory Manager:Free Memory (MB)SQL Server Memory Manager:Database Cache Memory (MB)SQL Server Buffer Manager:Page Life ExpectancyWhen the server is loaded I would expect Free memory to be very low, Database Cache memory to be close to the maximum, and Page Life expectancy to be high.What I am seeing is instead that Free memory is constantly about 16 GB, Database Cache memory varies between 200 MB and 2 GB. Page Life expectancy repeatedly drops to 0, climbs to 100, and drops to 0 again.So, there is lots of free memory available, but it is not getting used!I have used SQL Profiler to look for any SQL commands that reads has a large amount of reads, but I ave not found anything significant. There are simply a very large number of small requests.Do you have any ideas about what could be causing this behavior?Any ideas about how to continue trying to find the cause of the problem?/SG

Page life exceptancey performance couter value not change for a long time

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 07:28 PM PDT

My Server is SQL SERVER 2012 Enterprise Editiona few days ago I saw Page life exceptancey counter is not change But not "0" maybe It changed once a day....I did big table full scan but It's no use........current value is 348,611 What's wrong???Thanks

SSIS 2012 Centralized Error Capture

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 07:41 AM PDT

I'm using SSIS 2012. I'm trying to collect all package errors as a formatted string, and communicated those from an OnError event (at the control flow level) as an email. I have found examples here: http://agilebi.com/jwelch/2008/01/15/handling-multiple-errors-in-ssis-revisited/ http://agilebi.com/jwelch/2007/05/05/handling-multiple-errors-in-ssis/ The only problem is, these examples are in vb.net. I haven't found anything like this done in C#.I've tried vb.net to C# conversion tools, but I receive errors when I attempt the conversions. How can I implement these same solutions in C#? The script task I am writting is configured for .NET 4.0 Thanks. csdunn1us

Microsoft Systems Center 2012 SQL Server Requirements - Choosing Between SQL 2008R2 And SQL 2012

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 03:16 AM PDT

While MSSC (Microsoft Systems Center) 2012 supports the use of either SQL 2008 R2 or SQL 2012 there's no info at the SYSTEM CENTER 2012 website (that I can find) that details the pros/cons of each version of SQL Server, pointing out why you would select one version over the other and/or what to consider based on what version of SQL you go with.My company is implementing SC 2012 and I have been asked to decide between SQL 2008R2 and SQL 2012 and I'd like to find out if there are pro/cons to one or the other as they relate specifically to Systems Center 2012. Any System Center 2012 users out there with some thoughts/input/references on deciding on which version of SQL Server to go with for SC2012? There are clearly outlined differences between SQL 208R2 and SQL 2012 in general but what I'm looking for is anything that is specific to SQL Server for use by System Center 2012.Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog