Saturday, March 16, 2013

[SQL 2012] Instance won't start after changing Processor Affinity

[SQL 2012] Instance won't start after changing Processor Affinity


Instance won't start after changing Processor Affinity

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 04:55 AM PDT

I have a server which I'm trying to setup identically to our running production server and I'm running into issues. The hardware is identical, as follows:2x 8-Core Opteron 621232gb RAM670GB of Disk Space split 60 C: / 610 E:OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 EnterpriseSQL Server is 2012 SP1 with rollup (11.0.3128)The server has four instances installed, across which we're trying to split resources by setting Max RAM and Process/IO Affinity, like this:\NCR - 8GB, Process on Cores 1,2,3, I/O on Core 4\GTA - 8GB, Process on Cores 5,6,7, I/O on Core 8\ENT - 8GB, Process on Cores 9,10,11, I/O on Core 12\DOCINDEX - 4GB, Process on Core 13, I/O on Core 14Leaving 4GB, and Cores 0 and 15 free for the OS. The production server is setup like this and running fine. The development server is fine right up until I change the Process and IO affinity. As soon as I do that and restart the SQL Server Services or the whole box, GTA and DOCINDEX's services will start, then immediately stop. Since I can't get them started, I end up uninstalling and reinstalling the instance. Then they run fine with no process or IO affinity set. I can change the Max RAM, but if I change the Process or IO affinity again they do the same thing. I've tried stopping all the SQL services and just turning on DOCINDEX or just turning on GTA, thinking that it might be a problem with resource availability, but they still won't start. I've even gone as far as reformatting the entire box again from scratch, making sure I follow the procedure I wrote up when I built the production box and run into the same issue.The system event logs have no helpful information at all. The only event related to the services in question are a bunch of "This is informational" events describing the startup, then one saying "The service has entered the stopped state". The ERRORLOG has the same lack of information. I can post both if needed. Help!Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog