Monday, March 25, 2013

[SQL 2012] Ideal cluster size for transactions per minute and create database? Performance issue.

[SQL 2012] Ideal cluster size for transactions per minute and create database? Performance issue.


Ideal cluster size for transactions per minute and create database? Performance issue.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 08:51 PM PDT

A number of SQL Servers here are setup with a disk cluster sizes of 4K, however for SQL Server , shouldn't it really be 64K? When I run transaction tests using HammerDB I get good results, however when I tested the performance of creating a database and extending it the results are not so good .for example: ------------------4K Cluster Size:Tpm = 1,038,994.00 CREATE DATABASE 20GB = 15.1 secondsALTER DATABASE 10GB = .34 seconds ----------------64K Cluster Size:Tpm = 1,500,965.00 CREATE DATABASE 20GB = 31.7 secondsALTER DATABASE 10GB = .34 seconds The above results are consistent for 1000 test cycles. The Transactions Per Minute show a clear performance gain, but the CREATE DATABASE statement takes twice as long, why is that? I would expect it to be fast because its writing a contiguous block? And why is the ALTER DATABASE statement the same speed regardless?

AdventureWorks Attach problem

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 11:03 AM PDT

Hi,I'm trying to attach the data file of Adventureworks. I have download the file from http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/55330When I try to attach the file (I remove the log file because I don't have one) I receive the following error: The header for file 'C:\AdventureWorksDW2012_Data.mdf' is not a valid database file header. The FILE SIZE property is incorrect.My SQL Server version is SQL Server 2012 Developer edition with sp1Can someone help?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog