Saturday, March 16, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Suggestions on TEMPDB Setup

[MS SQL Server] Suggestions on TEMPDB Setup


Suggestions on TEMPDB Setup

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 05:46 AM PDT

I have a teradata environment with database aroudn 3TB. This server has around 40 core processors. Microsoft suggested to Use only 32 processors instead of 40 as there was a bug.So, Inorder to build temp database I am starting with 8 temp data files and 1 log files. I have two solid state drives each of size 290GB, so Total of two drives is 580 GB . So, I am diving my files in the following way. I need your suggestionin dividing the files.My environment uses lot of tempdb. Please suggest with my ideas.T1: 70 GBT2:70 GBT3:70 GBT4:70 GBT5:70 GBT6:70 GBT7:70 GBT8:70 GBTlog: 10 GB.By dividing into this way do I across any problems.

access named instance from SSMS

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 05:46 AM PDT

To access a named instance from SSMS it is SERVER\INSTANCE_NAME or SERVER$INSTANCE_NAME? I have tried both, for SERVER\INSTANCE_NAME I get an immediate "Login Failed" message so I tend to think that is it and I just don't have access? But I need a way to confirm. I can not open the SQL SERVER Configuration Manager, I get a "Cannot connect tp WMI provider, you don't have permission or the service is unreachable". I am trying to access a Reporting server database that had a named instance of sql server installed for it but whoever did this didn't add permissions for our sqlAdmins group.... hmmm.. Any advice on this? Thank you.

Log File Shrink

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 05:42 AM PDT

Now that we got the log file backups under control, now it's time to shrink the log file. I'm going to start with the Test DB which is only 56 gig, and when they (consultants) created the log file initialy, they set the log file size to 59 gig. See below the results of DBCC SQLPERF(logspace). It looks as though I can really shrink this sucker. What do you think would be an appropriate size, remembering this is a test DB with not a lot of transactions going through. [img]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q791/midnight251/LogFileSize_zps62bd6b1a.jpg[/img]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog