Thursday, March 28, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Migrating Maintenance plans

[MS SQL Server] Migrating Maintenance plans


Migrating Maintenance plans

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 07:41 AM PDT

Hi,Is it possible to migrate maintenance plans from 1 server to another server?SueTons.

transaction log size reduction

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 11:17 AM PDT

Does backup of transaction log reduce the log file size or it is DBCC SHRINKFILE really make the size small?I know it is not good practice to shrink log, but we have special case that need to do that to save space. For example we have some archived databases and set to readonly, and simple recovery mode, we don't need those big log file there, so I was able to shrink the log size to a smaller one.But I remember somewhere I read only backup transaction log reduces the size, not shrink , or maybe I didn't remmember it correctly?Thanks

Loading Users into instance security

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 12:57 AM PDT

We are moving from a server with SQL server 2005 to one with SQL server 2008. Is there any way to script a bulk load of users into the instance security? I have mounted the databases, from backup, but need to get the users set-up in the instance. With over 1,000 users this would take a while going through the SSMS GUI interface.

Restore verifyonly on the last backup

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 11:17 PM PDT

Hi , Somebody can Help me :I want a script to use 'restore verifyonly' command on the last full backup of my database :blush:(get the path of last full backup and use the command restore verifyonly from disk = <backup>

Monitoring error

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 07:47 AM PDT

I'm using Red-Gate Monitor tool to help me in managing our SQL Server. I see very frequently these two messages: Monitoring error (SQL Server data collection) and Monitoring Error (host machine data collection). I know there could be almost an infinite number of reasons for these error but I was wondering how would it be best to try to find out the reasons why I'm getting notified on these. I looked at our existing backup jobs and schedule jobs as well as the logs to see if I can find a reason why this is happening. Any other ideas or a direction that I need to go to get more information on this it would be very appreciated.

sql2008 port number changed

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 08:46 PM PDT

not able to connect after changing the port number.

Find SPID of Linked Server Call

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 07:14 AM PDT

Hi SCC,I have a stored procedure on server A that makes a linked server call to server B.... on server A I see the wait type is OLEDB so I want to look at the SPID on server B... is there a way to identify the remote SPID other than connecting to the server and doing an sp_who2 and looking for the client who made the connection and then username of the linked server?Thanks!

SQL Server access violation

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 09:07 PM PDT

Hi All,My sql server crashed and I see the following error in my error log. I browsed the net got to know to analyze the mdmp files but iam not sure how to do that .PLease help me to find the issue 2013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server *2013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server * BEGIN STACK DUMP:2013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server * 03/26/13 09:16:26 spid 137842013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server *2013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server * ex_handle_except encountered exception C0000005 - Server terminating2013-03-26 09:16:26.58 Server Waiting for your input.Thanks you

Availability and (simulation) using backup ( SQL SERVER)

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 07:30 PM PDT

Hi everybody, I want to know if the last backup is physically accessible and know what is spend if used it Is that possible with SQL SERVER (SQL)?

Crippling high RAM usage, Googled SQL buffer-related usage doesn't show the issue

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 10:37 AM PDT

I have an SQL Server 2008R2 server instance that is hitting the RAM ceiling and crippling the server.- Server has 12GB RAM- Task Manager shows more than 9.5GB of RAM being used on SQLServr.exe, I am getting time-out errors on C# queries, and connecting to the server via SSMS- Management won't allow for increased RAM on this server- Restarting the SQL Server service fixes the issue, but the RAM slowly climbs back up- Online SQL Queries are showing that my databases are using approximately 2.5GB of RAM for buffer pages all added up- This issue has happened approximately once a week for the last few weeksCould anyone please direct me on how to better monitor / see where this memory usage is going? I'd appreciate some assistance on this.

Buffer cache hit ration ( for week )

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 08:39 PM PDT

Hi everybody , I need your help please :I want to create a graph to show the progression of the "buffer cache hit ratio" for last 7 days (a week). Until now I use this script (actual moment ) :[code="sql"]SELECT CAST( ( SELECT CAST (cntr_value AS BIGINT) FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters WHERE counter_name = 'Buffer cache hit ratio' )* 100.00 / ( SELECT CAST (cntr_value AS BIGINT) FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters WHERE counter_name = 'Buffer cache hit ratio base' ) AS NUMERIC(6,3) )[/code]

Server doesn't accept connections from the web!

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 02:09 PM PDT

I am making a VB.Net app that accesses my SQL Server, but when I try to run the app from a remote computer, I get an error that it can't find the server.It works fine if I access it from the local network using the local IP, but outside, using the public IP, it doesn't work!I checked the Allow Remote Connection options, but that didn't work eitherAlso, I tried to put my server as DMZ host on my router, didn't work.Additionally, I tried to disable windows firewall, no results.Environment: Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012Maxwell.

How would you recover from shutdown due to lack of drive space

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 08:58 AM PDT

We have a database server hosting SharePoint sites. I'm not the SharePoint admin so I don't know about its admin processes. Our SharePoint admin tried to delete a site, which almost shut down the SQL Server because tempdb and the SharePoint database log balooned up. We're working on figuring out a better way to do this. So... Obviously we try to avoid running out of space with various monitoring tools but how do you recover if a rogue process fills up the drive and the SQL Server shuts down? We're going to do our best to avoid this scenario but we almost got to that point today in less than an hour...Thanks for any pointers.

Reset Index Usage Counters

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 06:44 AM PDT

Hello, is it possible to reset the Index Usage counters like user_seeks,user_scans,user_lookups etc etc on a [i]production [/i] server without restarting the SQL Service?thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog