Monday, March 18, 2013

[MS SQL Server] FileStream backup and restore

[MS SQL Server] FileStream backup and restore


FileStream backup and restore

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 08:57 AM PDT

We're using MS SQLServer 2008 R2 and we are exploring the possibility of using FILESTREAM to store in a separate filegroup our documents and images, mostly PDFs. I have read a few articles on filestream and I'm running a few small tests to convert our existing data. It seems to work pretty good. My question is in regards to backing up and restoring the data and also I'd to make some clarifications. Is there a good article in regards to backing up and restoring filestreams? Can a backup/restore be done independently for each filegroup? For example, if a user deletes some data from the filestream filegroup, can I restored that portion of the database only? I'm running some tests on my development machine and I'm running into some error messages. I'm getting errors where it leaves the DB in restoring mode.

can not find Model after Master restore

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 01:20 PM PDT

I was doing some testing to ensure I had all the version build files required to restore the Master database if the entire server crashed and it had to be restored on another server.I managed to track down the hotfix that gave me the correct version and applied that to the new named instance I had created on my machine for testing [ABC\SQL2008].I got a master backup from a prod server and managed to restore the Master OK.The SQL Service then would not start with the errorI have had the issue trying to restore Master before on a new system where the build was different. I built a named instance and this error happened. After tracking [i]2013-03-18 15:03:39.53 spid7s Error: 15466, Severity: 16, State: 1.2013-03-18 15:03:39.53 spid7s An error occurred during decryption.2013-03-18 15:03:39.55 spid8s Starting up database 'model'.2013-03-18 15:03:39.55 spid7s Server name is 'ABC\SQL2008'. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.2013-03-18 15:03:39.55 spid7s Informational: No full-text supported languages found.2013-03-18 15:03:39.56 spid8s Error: 17204, Severity: 16, State: 1.2013-03-18 15:03:39.56 spid8s FCB::Open failed: Could not open file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\model.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15100).[/i]This location in the error is the location for the production server Model database.There is also an error that it can't create the tempdb (which is in the D:\ of the prod server that does not exist on my machine).Does anybody have any pointers on how to fix this?If a Master is installed on another server does the instance type (in this case default) and file paths have to be exactly the same as the server the Master came from?and do the user databases have to exist on start up (at the Master DB paths) or can these be added later on)thanks

Problem with Database mail

Posted: 02 Mar 2013 06:24 AM PST

We have SQL SERVER 2008 R2,which Database mail does not work properly.When I try to send test mail,it says it has been queued but it does not being delivered.Here are some point about about Database mail configuration1- Database mail is enabled.3- database mail is started4- the status of mail queue is "InActive"5- The size of mail queue is 9025 and status is Inactive and the status queue is empty(length is 0) and it has been actived a long time ago.6- service Broker is enabled.7- When I ran the databasemail.exe manually nothing happened.8- In mail log shows only The mail queue was started or stopped and it does not show any failure or problem.Note : I have one Profile and one account in that profile.I wil be grateful,if someone help me on this.ThanksAspet

Rebuild system database failure

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 09:43 AM PST

I have a situation where all system database (.mdf, .ldf) were wiped out after system recovery from a major outage. I try to follow this link (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2008/08/29/how-to-rebuild-system-databases-in-sql-server-2008.aspx)to rebuild system databases but got error that difficult to trouble shoot. OS: window 2008 SP1SQL: 2008 SP2My question1:1. Is the "setup" file is still good to use if my sql server is patched to SP2 after installation?2. What else I can try to recover system files if I have the backup files?ThanksClare

Automate Data Compression

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 04:24 AM PDT

I would like to automate the compression job for every week end by filtering on newly created tables/indexes with more than 10gb size, also would like to run on all tables in the server for the first time. Is there a script already on this forum to share, appreacite your help.Here are the commands i will be using on a SQL Server 2008R2 version, ThanksALTER TABLE dbo.tabEMP REBUILD PARTITION = ALL WITH (DATA_COMPRESSION=ROW);----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ALTER INDEX [index_main] ON [dbo].[tabEMP] REBUILD WITH (DATA_COMPRESSION=ROW);

Database restoration to network mapped path..

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 07:32 PM PDT

As i Don't have enough Space in my server machine.Is it possible to restore DB to a network mapped path? i Got a linkhttp://www.dotnetfunda.com/articles/article1054-database-backup-to-restore-from-remote-server-sql-server.aspxI try the steps to restore my back up in my server to a network mapped path (path is in another machine). But It executed infinitely with 0% progress on SQL server management studio. Is it Possible to restore a DB to network Mapped path? If yes, Please Guide me to restore DB to a network path.

Log shipping in sql server 2000

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 03:35 PM PDT

Hi all I have one doubt about log shippinghere we have two servers one is sql server 2000 and another one is sql server 2005.here i want to configure the log shipping also i want to know whether is it possibleif possible i want to know the process for sql server 2000 log shippingis this same like sql server 2005 or not?Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog