Monday, March 11, 2013

[MS SQL Server] Daylight saving time and SQL agent job

[MS SQL Server] Daylight saving time and SQL agent job


Daylight saving time and SQL agent job

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 05:34 AM PDT

I have a SQL agent job scheduled at 2:00 am on Sunday.But it was triggered at 2:59:50 am instead of 2:00 am, I think this is related with Daylight saving time,Because that is exactly the time - 2:00 am should change to 3:00 am for that.So my job delayed with corresponding job failed.My question is:I think the computer should adjust quickly itself, and I see now the clock is correct on the computer.So what could be the problem when the job ran and delayed?How can I fix this to avoid next day light saving time?THanks

Another "cannot generate SSPI context" error

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 04:42 AM PDT

Freaking odd one here guys. :unsure:2 SQL 2008 R2 servers on the same domain, but in different data centers. Live and DR.Both servers running as the same domain\user same rights on both servers. If I connect from live to DR with the IP I connect with both SQL user and AD user. :arrow:If I connect from live to DR with the machine domain name, I can connect at SQL user. :arrow:However if I connect from live to DR with the machine domain name with the same domain\user used for the IP connect gives I get the "cannot generate SSPI context" error. :ermm:Additionally, I was working earlier with the Live sql service running under another domain\user. I changed it to get the live service off a domain admin account. Any help here would be good.Thanks.Ryan.

Proper splitting and placement of files ?

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 02:53 AM PDT

Hi Folks,what ist the proper placement of files?In an article I red : LDF and MDF on separate drive, TempDB on another separate drive, hot spot tables on separate filegroup (and on separate disk), etc.At the moment I got following setup :Drive D : Database.mdf - 450 GBChange Data Capture.mdf - 7 GBDrive E :Database.ldfDrive F :TempDB.mdfDrive G:TempDB.LOGDrive T:Indexes.mdf - 136 GBAlready took a short look a accidental dba - chapter 2 : If I think logical, then I would put as many things as possible in own filgroups on seperate drives. But I want to know, what is your practice in real world? How about big or hotspot tables, do you put them on different drives? Is it good to put for example all the indexes on a seperate drive, or has it also a downside?

Missing index statistics - Dementia ?

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 02:58 AM PDT

I use a script showing me the missing index statistics with impact and so on. I think you all know it. But sometimes I add an index which is costly, cleanup the statistics. And he shows me the index again? Why this? IS this a bug? Can somebody explain me this? Getting into details would be nice ;). PS: I know the impact is not a good indicator, but what is the reason for this behaviour?

Negative Available Space for tempdb

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 02:16 AM PDT

I'm checking all my databases and when I look at my templog setting in the Shrink File window I see a negative number for both the database file and the log file. How do I handle this? What does it mean? Should I restart the instance to clear out the tempdb file? Right now there's close to 4GB on the tempdb file and about 150 MB in the log file. I have never seen this before. Live and learn or be surprise.

Audit triggers

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 02:19 AM PST

Dear Experts How to use triggers in auditing and in which casesCan any one provide examplesThanks

Reorganize index online option

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 10:25 AM PST

Does Reorganizing index with online option causes high disk I/O...I noticed users are getting timeouts after running reorganizing index command for 2 hrs??

Tracking changes to a database via triggers and the transaction logs

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 10:33 AM PDT

Hello --We have SQL Server 2008R2 standard running on one of our servers. The server contains three databases. One of the databases contains data that normally does not change, and is of such nature that if a change occurs, the administrators should be notified of the event. The databases on the server all part of a maintenance plan that includes Full, Differential, and Transaction Log backups, the last of which is backed up once every hour. The Database Mail utility has been configured so that notifications of job failures are sent to the administrators.A colleague of mine suggested that a trigger could be created that would monitor the transaction logs for entries that recorded any changes in the database. This trigger could then send a notification to the administrators. I had several questions concerning this approach.1. Is this the correct approach?2. If the answer to the first question is yes, is this something that can be done through the SQL Studio?

SQL Server DBA Support Services

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 11:25 PM PDT

Hi All, Can you suggest the organizations that are providing services on SQL Server DBA support?Apart from Microsoft ofcourse... :-)RegardsMayur Kashikar

Trace flag 4199

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 10:41 PM PDT

Generally do you run with this on or off?I've always been slightly worried about setting this trace flag to ON as I don't really have any load like production on any other environment; however I'm thinking running without optimiser fixes may not be the best idea, for the system in question there's a lots of very complex and heavy sql and any performance improvements would be helpful < grin >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog